Monday 23 July 2012

Columbia Ice Fields

When Bill woke up in the morning he went and got us another campsite cause someone was going to take ours. Before we left, Bill went to go and show the other's the new campsite, but then got lost on the way back, so I fell asleep and stayed asleep for most of the the trip but woke up just in time to see a black bear on the side of the road. It was the second one I'd see and I was able to get a picture on it.
We stopped for gas and lunch at The Crossing and then stayed there for about an hour. Then we started again for the Ice Fields. When we got there it was just BEAUTIFUL. The part that we saw was the Athabasca Ice Field. I got my magnet and then there was a museum downstairs that talk about the Glacier so we went to go look at that. They had found buttons, a backpack, cigarette butts and a moose in the glacier when it melted. It has receded A LOT since they discovered it.
Bill asked if I wanted to go up to the toe of the glacier and was kind of reluctant. It was a 1k walk uphill and it was cold but when I got up there I was happy I had gone. on the way up it said where the glacier had been at different points in time and it has melted a lot. there has also been a lot of deaths. The last 3 were unsuccessful, the people mostly dying from hypothermia, and a nine year old died in 2001 because he fell into a crevice made by ice.
The second black bear I'd seen

 Same bear

The museum downstairs explaining different thing about the glacier
Samantha

Athabasca Glacier
Samantha

Athabasca Glacier
Samantha, Bill

 At the toe of the Athabasca Glacier
Samantha

 Athabasca Glacier, part of the Columbia Ice Fields

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you braved the cold and distance and went to see the glacier. ;)

    ReplyDelete